Thursday, October 20, 2016

Rainday, Trick and Train Day

Walks happen 365 days a year, rain, shine, sleet, snow, even during tornado watches. A dog's gotta pee.  And run.  But you know, on a dark drenched October day, I'm not going out for anything more than what's necessary, so it's Trick and train day.

It's still early days, so it's not much, and includes some pretty boring stuff (aka practical), but when I write everything down, it accumulates.  It's not as impressive as it sounds, as I have a short attention span so nothing is really set. I really need to work on getting these on verbal cue, some of them are in the baby stages of works in progress are still getting lured or shaped & heavilly coached (translation, me bobbing, weaving, pointing and generally acting like a spaz), but:
Here's the list, in no particular order:

Place- dog from front goes round handler and between the legs, stops.

Tall- dog stands on two legs (Sonic does this naturally (to get a better view) but on-cue is another thing

Back- backing up, Sonic's favourite leash walk move, but now working on getting it on cue.

Side stepping- another natural, happens on walks, sort of getting this on cue.

Pogo- Sonic's invention, springing straight up in the air, on leash. Just starting to get this on cue and only happens if he's excited

Bring it- dog brings toy and drops it in my hand. I'm using a tug-n-treat frisbee to help teach Sonic structured play, goes along with fetch & tug

Tuggees-  tug the toy, see above

Get it- fetch if he needs a reminder

Target- touch a ball or plastic lid, he's mastered touching a ball, fallout from my failed attempts to teach him fetch & retrieve a tennis ball...put ball on stick and I have a great target stick

Spin-clockwise

Twist-counterclockwise

8's - figure 8 weave through legs

Weave - me walking forward, Sonic weaves through legs

Go! - go out ahead of me

Over- jump over my arm (me kneeling, he's not super dog-yet). I used this video by Kristin Crestejo as my guide.  Had him already doing the whole thing, and then today, not so much, but still jumping. Yay! Indoor exercises.





No comments:

Post a Comment